Thursday, June 27, 2019

Changing Subnet Mask question

Hello everyone,

quick question. As far as I know this should work, but I haven't done something like this, so I wanted to make sure.

We are in dire need of more IP addresses in the growing company. The network was never intended to grow this lage, but 6 years later, here we are. The original plan is a cleanly seperated VLAN, but the config is giving me a headache since it should work, but it doesn't. Even 3rd level says it should work. But it doesn't.

So to bridge the time I need to troubleshoot this, I thought to expand the subnet from /24 to /23. And implement the VLAN after that, since we planned on using that IP range anyway.

We're using 192.168.0.0 /24. All our workstations using DHCP, so no need to run around and change them all. Only servers, printers and network components using static IP, maybe a couple of the oldest workstations as well.

All in all not that many, so the change wouldn't take up much time.

Changing to /23 would mean the network includes 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.1.255. All I know tells me the change would be ok, since clients in the new range, using the /23 Subet Mask, would be able to see the old range, even when it's using the /24 mask, because there no routing rules preventing that (so far).

I only change the subnet mask of existing clients. IP addresses of servers, routers and the like will stay the same. No desire to open that can of worms. Workstations are mac bound to their IP address, so they would stay the same as well.

Only new clients and the byods would initially use the new range until the VLAN is implemented.

Making the change would be ok as well, since my laptop starts out in a range I have access to and change it to a range I have access to as well. Worst Case I can think of right now i a short disconnect during the transition of servers and network components.

Am I missing something?



No comments:

Post a Comment