Thursday, June 27, 2019

Celestica Smallstone XP D4040, console non-responsive

Hey all, I was advised to reach out to you all to see if I could get pushed in the right direction.

I've got a couple Celestica 32x40gbe switches. They seem to be similar (if not clones of) the Penguin Arctica 3200xlp and the FS N8000-32Q. I think Celestica is the OEM, and Penguin and FS rebranded them.

Both of the ones I've got have no operating system on them, but they power on. One of them was giving me an output from the console and I was able to get into BIOS, as well as get ONIE and SONiC installed.

However, now, neither of them seem to be outputting anything from the console port. I've tried every common baud rate just to be sure. Even hooked up an oscilloscope to try to calculate the baud.

I can't find any technical documentation for the device, and attempts at contacting all three brands have not been successful because I don't have a support contract, nor am I the original purchaser.

It just seems crazy that I had one of the switches ready for me to start developing a config file for SONiC, and then suddenly the next day it just doesn't work.

I'm half tempted to grab a SOIC8 clamp to reflash the BIOS chips, but I'm not even fully convinced the main board is the issue.

The ASIC chip is on it's own board that includes a gigabit NIC (management port), USB port, and the console port.

I haven't done a thorough trace, but I'm pretty confident that the ASIC board connects to the main board via a pair of PCIe board to board connectors. And the console port is using a PCIe lane. It just seems pretty crazy to me that the main board wouldn't have an independent console port, even if it was just jumpers.

Has anyone ever worked with this type of switch? Is there a console/serial connector on the main board that bypasses the ASIC board's console?

Thanks for any and all help!



No comments:

Post a Comment