Friday, May 17, 2019

Patch panel naming. Does this seem correct

I’m the PM on a large data centre build out. The cabling vendor has named the EOR patch panels as follows

C#-R#-U#-P#

Fine it has all info we need EXCEPT the panel is named after its DESTINATION

So cab1 row 1patch panel is named C3-R6-U5-P1 because Thats where it terminates and conversely C1-R1-U5-P5 is the panel in cab 3,row6 etc.

Confused. Yep me too

So. Is this one of the many standards and options? I’m not bothered about the actual naming convention, it’s more the fact that the panel is named after the opposite end not where is physically is.

Also. I am a great advocate of labelling each end of the patch lead. Makes life easier. All they are doing is labelling each end in pairs rather then true end

So - number 1 to 3000. (Yes we have 3000 connections). I know. I have 1. Now to find its matching pair.

Comments please 😩



No comments:

Post a Comment