Thursday, May 30, 2019

Little help requested about iptables

Had to repost here, the Linux forum apparently doesn't like you to ask for help ;)

So I'm changing a few things here, but here's my setup...I have a small embedded linux SBC, with two network interfaces. Neither are assigned an IP address, in fact they are bridged together. Here's where it gets funky...one side has a server on a subnet (these are changed from the real thing btw) 192.168.1.x/24. The other side has a router on a subnet 172.16.1.x/24. The iptables are setup to allow only snmp (161 and 162) and echo request/reply through - and is working fine. What I can't understand is how in the world the two subnets are talking to each other. Probably overlooking something easy, but I'm not that strong with iptables, and wondering if the FORWARDING in that table from chain to chain is performing the "routing" function for me.

I can't post the configuration, I know that would help. But other than creating a few user-defined chains, it seems pretty straight forward, just don't know how these two subnets are talking to each other on a bridged connection. TIA



No comments:

Post a Comment