Friday, May 3, 2019

Issues With Bonjour Services on Enterprise Network

So I am currently struggling with an issue with AirPrint on a business (enterprise is probably a stretch) network. I have a Cisco WLC AIR-CT5508-K9 (Ver 7.0) with 8 APs configured. The WLC is connected via trunked portchannel to SW1, all needed vlans are allowed. The APs are connected to SW1 ports configured as access for the vlan 100 (this is the vlan used for management of APs and WLC).

I have set up a VLAN for the iPads and the printers (which are AirPrint compatible, according to the vendor who sent both), which is VLAN 30. I have created a WLAN for VLAN 30 and assigned the appropriate IP to the interface. The printers are hardwired into SW1 ports configured for vlan 30. So, iPads and printers are on the same vlan and the same subnet. However, the iPads cannot see the printers. I did some research, and found the mDNS feature of the WLC that can let it act as a Bonjour gateway. But from what I read, this will allow Bonjour to work accross mutliple vlans. It seems like this feature wouldn't be needed if I am just trying to connected two devices in the same subnet.

Anyway, the software version 7.0 doesn't seem to support mDNS, and I am currently searching if the upgrades to 7.5 are free.

Shouldn't Bonjour services work fine if the devices are on the same subnet? Has anyone ever dealth with this? Any advice would be appreciated! If you need more info, let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment