Thursday, May 9, 2019

IGMP Querier/PIM confusion

Hello

I'm a bit confused regarding IGMP Querier on an L3 switch. I have a network with 2 VLANs A and B routed by a L3 Switch.

On VLAN A I have hosts that needs to receive a multicast stream On VLAN B I only have a streamer, but his IP is not reachable. Basicaly from A i can ping the B SVI but nothing more.

I'v enabled PIM Sparse-Dense on both SVI but mulicast traffic is not being forwarded. If, on the B SVI i manullay join-group (ip igmp join-group X.X.X.X), it is.

I've figured that i need a querier on Vlan B to subscribe to the multicast group (on behalf of my hosts from VLAN A), but I can't enable IGMP Querier on a interface that is running PIM.

So i'm a bit lost. How can you route multicast traffic if the source is not reachable from your other subnets? Or maybe i've got it all wrong, in this case I need your lights :D



No comments:

Post a Comment