Friday, May 24, 2019

Help me migrate to OSPF!

Topology

I'm less than a month in to this job and have been tasked with migrating from static routes to dynamic routing. I'm gonna go with OSPF and so far I've been trying to understand the network topology to determine if a single or multi-area design would be best.

Each site has a core switch with a routed port connected to ISP2 Metro-E. The routers have a connection to ISP1 Metro-E. Each branch switch has a trunk to its default gateway, the branch router. Head office switch forwards to a firewall then to the router for data

I've read this article from PacketLife on routing protocol migration so in my scenario I believe I can safely turn on OSPF to start learning routes since its AD is obviously higher than static routes. I've also seen that I can simply redistribute static/connected routes but what happens when you remove a static route that you redistributed?

  1. From the topology should I use single area or multi area? I'm really not sure how to go about making that decision.
  2. What are general steps to take to safely migrate from static routes to OSPF? How much do I need to know about the current static routing config? What answers should I have before going forward?
  3. What are the differences between redistributing connected and manually advertising interface subnets?


No comments:

Post a Comment