Thursday, May 9, 2019

Cisco switches for an acidic environment.

*edit: 3 recommendations for a sealed cabinet with a DIN mounted switch. Thanks everyone! I will recommend this route be taken.

I am comparing the Cisco options for a switch in an airborne acidic environment. I am comparing the 2000, and 3200 series. The specific questions are based around.

  1. Conformal coating
  2. SD Card requirements

I am sure 1 and 3 can be answered by our VAR. I am really hoping for peoples experience on question 2.

  1. As mentioned, the switch will be in an airborne acidic environment. I see that the IE-2000 series has a few models that come with conformal coating. Today is my first time dealing with installing gear in acidic environments. For anyone that has, do you opt for the models with conformal coating? Do you find it makes a big difference over time? It is only the larger models that offer this.
  2. The 3200 series explicitly says that the SD card is optional. On the Accessories list for the IE-2000, it says the SD card must be ordered as it does not come by default. I assume the SD card is optional for all models (as a local backup for easy switch swapping by non-technical people). Can anyone confirm?

Other than the acidic environment, the rest of the requirements are quite low. 4 copper ports (100 or 1000), 1 SFP port (1000), Cisco IOS based. We will pick up the 19" rack mount accessory and a power supply to match.



No comments:

Post a Comment