Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Cable Tester and/or Network Tester

We are in need of an Ethernet cable testers / network tester. We are installing low voltage structured cabling for homes and small business customers. No one has really asked for certification that something like a $10,000+ Fluke would cost, and if we did get a high end job that required certification I assume we would just rent one for a week. However we need something!

Some people recommend the Pocket Etherent or Netool.io device. Those seem cool, but not commerial enough for the rugged jobsites. I love the cost don't get me wrong.

On the low end, I am thinking something like a netscout linksprinter 300 that cost $368 new on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/NETSCOUT-LinkSprinter-Network-Tester/dp/B00I7KSTYO . I like that it has cloud reports that can be analyzed by others remote. It looks like it does support Open/Short/Length Cable but it does not have a Wiremap and Toner. I would think a Wiremap and Toner would be useful. The advertise this device as usually testing with a switch at the other end, and the question I have is in new installs, where we don't have a switch yet connected to the other end, is this device pointless?

Next step up seems to be the NETSCOUT LRAT-1000 LinkRunner AT Copper Ethernet Network Tester for around $1060.00. It has everything the linksprinter 300 does from what I cant tell, plus adds a screen, Wiremap and Toner, and I am sure other things?

Then step up from there is the LRAT-2000 for around $1600. LinkRunner AT is available in two models: LRAT-2000 and LRAT-1000. LinkRunner AT 2000 adds the following exclusive* features:

  • Fiber support
  • TruePower™ PoE loading
  • IPv6 support
  • Reflector support
  • More reports: 50 instead of 10

\These exclusive features cannot be added to the LinkRunner AT 1000.*

I am not sure if these features are worth the increase in cost. Over time I can see IPv6 support being required. Fiber support sounds nice. What is Reflector support?

Besides Netscout, I have been told that the Fluke Networks CIQ-100 Cable Tester for $1224 is a great machine. It seems to have the most true cable tests, but it lacks cloud reporting/managment from what I can tell.

I really like/want cloud reporting or remote management. We will have low end low wage techs working some of these testers, so easy to use while have a more advanced tech/manager being able to look at results online is a real plus in my opinion.

Any other brands or models I should look at?



No comments:

Post a Comment