Thursday, May 23, 2019

ASA Upgrade/Downgrade questions

First time I've done this process before and was hoping for some advice. After googling many times and looking at documentation I'm still slightly confused.

I'm looking at upgrading code on an ASA cluster we have from 9.10(1) to a new patch 9.10(22) to fix a bug. This is the process I would folow any tips would be appreciated specifically on downgrading. Also we've recently upgraded the sourcefire code to 6.2.2. recently but from documentation note this willl not be impacted by this work.

Before start take a copy of the configuration.

1.) Download the Software to both units and specify the new image to load with the 'boot system' command.

2.) Reload the standby unit by executing a 'failover reload-standby'

3.) When standby has reloaded and is in a Standby Ready State (show failover) we force a failover 'no failover active'.

4.) Verify failover to Standby and perform a reload of the former active unit 'reload'.

5.) When the former active (now standby) has reloaded successfuly we force a failback ' failover active'.

In a scenario where I need to downgrade incase we see major issues with FW during upgrade - I've looked at the 'downgrade' feature in documentation but I don't see it's use case here and it's confusing me. As it's not a major release I presume I can set the boot system variable to old code and perform the same process above as the upgrade but to downgrade. And the downgrade option is used in other circumstances such as major releases where config may change.

Thanks in advanced for any help.



No comments:

Post a Comment