Thursday, May 9, 2019

24p switch under $500 with at least 1 10gbase-t port

Hey there,

Long story short, my 1g connection on my QNAP NAS is not enough anymore but it comes with a 10gbase-t connection (TVS-672xt).

My switch needs replacement anyway (only have 12 ports and I need 21 now) so I was thinking of killing 2 birds with one stone by getting a 24p switch with a 10gbase-t port on it to solve my NAS bandwidth issue as well as my 21port current requirement.

So I need at least 1 10gbase-t port for my NAS, any additional SPF+ is always nice to have for future expansion and stacking.

Big criteria, I don't want an ICL managed switch, I'm too old and lazy for that.

I have considered SPF+ switches, but then I would need:

- a new NIC in my NAS (+$200)

- new cables as I already have a cat6a to my NAS (about 20ft away)

- I am not convinced by SPF+ to RJ45 transceivers (unless someone can convince me otherwise, the power consumption issue seems like a showstopper)

I am also trying to stay under the $500 mark while still getting a switch with room for expansion.

So looking at used switches, I found :

- HPE 1950 around $400, anyone knows if the 10gbase-t ports on that one are for stacking purposes only?

- Arista DCS-7050T, still under $500, but only ICL

- Mikrotik CSS326: $140 + $65 for the transceiver. only 2 spf+ ports and less capabilities compared to the hpe1950

Any other brilliant ideas? A cheap cisco? A switch with an expansion slot that allows 10gbase-t?



No comments:

Post a Comment