Friday, April 12, 2019

Unmanaged switch not connecting to LAN

I am not too network savvy, so I'll try to be as clear as possible. Sorry if I get some of the jargon incorrect.

Update: I think another important piece of information is that I'm getting assigned 169.254.x.x ip addresses. Seems that might be relevant information?

I am tasked with setting up 36 laptops for classes through North America, sometimes the laptops come back to our office and I have to update the course content. As you can imagine it take forever doing it manually with a couple thumb drives when the overall content is about 120 gbs.

I try to automate as much as possible, we have deep freeze set up on all the computers, so the ip addresses are easily managed... Deepfreeze does alot of other unrelated stuff for us. Anyway, we have 2 unmanaged network switches, 1 16 port and 1 24 port. (they already had the 16 port switch, so I bought the 24 port to get enough connections). It worked great yesterday, I was able to move almost a terabyte of data overnight, and set up WOL which will make things even easier. This morning they were all still connected, so I restarted the systems with WOL just to make sure, and all was still good.

Then, about 4 hours ago, I noticed they were all disconnected. After some troubleshooting, I realized the new 24 port switch is the cause. This is what ipconfig /all is showing on the laptops connected to the switch Here The other switch is working fine as I can connect to them just fine.

Is there a way to reset the switch? I tried power cycling to no avail... It was my impression unmanaged switches don't assign ip addresses, so I wouldn't think this is an issue. I also tried changing some of the ports around which did not help.

Networking is hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment