Friday, April 19, 2019

Tool "like" RANCID but not quite...

So, where I work we've got terrible tracking of our DHCP scopes what's where and real addresses to buildings, etc, hundreds of locations if not thousands and growing.

We have CA (Broadcom) Spectrum for network devices which works surprisingly well and contains many thousands of network devices.

The issue, it doesn't do any kind of IP management, even if we had some product to do that and it was reading DHCP scopes, they'd be wrong or screwed up because 1 team does networking and another DHCP as directed by the networking folks and frankly, it doesn't work like that.

Scopes are missing, not labeled, old and outdated, some sites don't have scopes because of how they tunnel in or attach to us, and the list goes on.

I had the bright idea that by hooking into each switch/router I could run some commands like the running config, int status, etc and based on interfaces build my own map, like CDP neighbor but with real addresses, scopes, related MAC/ARP data, etc... massages all the data into SQL with a full web-based front end for searching and correlating data.

So, first I looked around and never found anything that did that or anything quite like it and certainly nothing I could expand upon or tailor to our unique environment. Then, I committed all my free time at work to developing a solution, and it works, it does everything I need it to do and our company has seen the value and started using it but it has it's limitations.

So now the question, does anything exist like what I've built to do this sort of stuff and did I overcomplicate something that is/was relatively simple for some other tool or service, CLI, etc?



No comments:

Post a Comment