Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Suggestion for easy to use enterprise router

Good Evening,

Where I work, we currently have a Mikrotik CCR1036-12G-4S-EM Cloud Router that we use to manage our network. We have around 200-250 computers, have 2 separate 1GB/sec internet connections (one for staff and one for public). We have 4 or 5 VLANs and have a couple of web servers we host. We also use Layer 7 to block torrent traffic and a few rules to allow servers to talk on multiple VLANs. Pretty straight forward setup.

This router is currently serviced by a local company that unfortunately is experiencing growing pains and their service on non-critical issues has become almost nonexistent. My team and I run all other IT functions in the building except for managing the router. Since we don't change router settings very often, it doesn't make sense for us to hire someone for this role alone, nor do we have the budget. I have experience setting up networks and routers, just not with hardware that is mainly command line base or has tons of complicated menus.

Currently, I've been looking online to see if there is a router that my team and I could manage and it have a fairly easy to understand interface. I saw a Grandstream GWN7000 router that fits the bill pretty well in the easy to understand GUI dept. Setting up VLANs, routes, network groups, is all easy to do in a simple interface. Now, the Grandstream router can handle 1 million packets a second, but our current solution does around 24 million, so obviously it would not be a replacement.

Are there any other enterprise level routers out there that anyone could recommend? I know Sophos has a pretty good GUI firewall, but I am not sure if it handles everything a Mikrotik router would in terms of functionality. Anything that is straight forward and easy to set up and manage would be great. I'd love to see an easy to view dashboard to see how the network is running too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

-Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment