Thursday, April 4, 2019

Need help with Dell 6224 or recommendation for different approach

I have inherited a bunch of servers (30+) that all live on the same network. I connected them all to a fresh dell 6224 and pointed the dell at my gateway. Everything works. The dell is basically unconfigured and just acting as a dumb switch. I just recently discovered that some of my VMs are using one of the hyper-visor ports to get to a completely different network, which I don't have set up. This new network and my existing network need to route to eachother.

My solution was to use the 6224 to set up a new VLAN for the new network, and let it handle the routing. I believe the 6224 can act in this capacity. Unfortunately my knowledge of getting this switch to do what I want is limited. First question, is it in my best interest to get a dedicated router for this? Or should the 6224 handle this easily.

Second question, I'm currently about 400 miles from the hardware, and I'm worried about losing access to the dell and rest of the network while working remotely. Is there a safe way to implement the VLANs and associated routing without risk of losing connectivity?

I have done some research, and I have two links that contain information that relates to what I want to do, but I'm not super comfortable with how the 6224 will behave as I try to implement this:

Old post from this sub

Post with steps from VirtualDave

In the Dave post, he talks about enabling routing globally: console(config)# ip routing

I'm worried that once I do that, I may lose access to the web management interface, and/or lose access to my whole network, since VLAN1-Default doesn't route. Any risk of this, or am I misunderstanding?

Once I do this, it seems like I should group my initial primary set of devices into a new VLAN and my new network into a second vlan, and set up the routes. I can most likely fumble my way through this.

Anyway, I'm open to recommendations or a sanity check from someone with familiarity of the 6224's temperament.

My apologies if this post is below the skill level required to ask a question. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment