Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Looking to get to 10GBaseT affordably with my HP Procurve 5406ZL switch

I was hoping one of you can help me with a couple of questions I have regarding my HP Procurve 5406ZL network switch.

Yes - I know it's normally overkill for the home, But I'm looking to upgrade a few of my 1GB connections to 10GBase-T connections. I move a lot of larger files between the NAS, Servers and my Workstation... plus, it would be just plain cool to have.. :-)

I found that some of the zL modules (J8707A or J8708A for example) for my switch (5406ZL) can be found at a very reasonable price (~$100). Ideally what I would like, is to be able to run a 10GBase-T cable from the Switch to my NAS, Servers and Workstation's but I'm not finding HP brand X2 to 10GBase-T converters.

I have a few questions, in this regard: - Will the HP switch accept third party brand X2 converters such as Cisco or Fujitsu for example? I know I can go X2 --> SFP+ then SFP+ --> 10GBase-T but was hoping to avoid having to cobble it together like that. - What other Modules are there that will go into the switch that will get me to 10GBase-T without dropping +$1000?

If I can't find a good 10GBase-T solution, I know I can go with the J8708A module, which has 4 CX4 connectors. My question there is, would most brand name CX4 based Network Cards (ConnectX EN, Intel or Myricom for example) able to connect to that module via standard CX4 cables?



No comments:

Post a Comment