Friday, April 5, 2019

Let's play "What did I fuck up?"

Recent Firepower upgrade (not by me) caused tons of issues and outages (Fuck you for that Cisco). After that issue was "fixed" some devices needed to be moved to a new VLAN due to identity issues caused by the "upgrade". So I get a call. "This PC is no longer working". Get instructions from the boss to move device to a new VLAN to get it to work. So, go to the access switch, make VLAN change on the access port, and of course the uplink trunk doesn't have the VLAN, so add VLAN to the trunk. Go to the upstream distribution switch and add the VLAN to the downlink to the access switch. Go to the uplink trunk interface from the distribution switch to the core 6500 switch (G1/0/43) and add the VLAN to the trunk. I lose connectivity to the distribution switch. I cause an outage impacting some of our biggest customers. What did I fuck up? Some info is left out of course because mentioning it would give away what I fucked up. Can you solve this riddle?

Edit#1: I used the "add" keyword in all instances. Edit#2: Outage was 20-30 minutes. Edit#3: Issue not layer 3 related. Edit#4: I know the answer. As soon as I consoled in to the distribution switch I saw what happened and fixed it. Edit#5: Not a root switch issue. Edit#6: Issue partially answered by user raulnd. Can you place the last puzzle piece?



No comments:

Post a Comment