Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Juniper VSTP Questions

Hey all - hopefully a quick question and it's just a matter of me missing something. My Google-Fu is turning up nothing on this.

I have a virtual chassis of 9 x Juniper EX3400 48 port switches on 18.1R3.3 limited, running L2 to our aggregation layer. This stack has 12 VLANs on it, and because reasons (not greenfield), we are running VSTP. Not sure if it matters, but we are using dot1x mac authentication against RADIUS. When I try to configure VSTP on more than 11 VLANs, I get the following error when attempting to commit:

user@stack# commit confirmed 5 [edit protocols] 'vstp' xSTP:Trying to configure too many interfaces for given protocol vports:[5173] error: configuration check-out failed 

The Juniper docs that I've read indicate that VSTP can be applied to a limited number of ports, but I can't find what that limit is. The docs also specify a limit of 510 VLANs, which we are not even near. (https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/spanning-trees-ex-series-vstp-understanding.html)

I've tried to discern what the [5173] in the error message might refer to. My current thinking is that 9 switches x 48 ports x 12 vlans, minus 1 port statically configured on a single VLAN puts us right at 5173. It seems to line up too well to be a coincidence. Maybe VSTP is limited to 4096 vports?

I'm guessing that my only real option is to migrate to MSTP or RSTP. Can anyone confirm any of this or provide advice on the best way to proceed? Going full L3 is unfortunately not an option in the near future. MSTP or may not be a near-term solution, I'll have to do more research on it to see if our aggregation/core layer will play nicely.

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment