Thursday, April 11, 2019

Is there ANYTHING I can do about my shit ISP?

Where I live you have two options for an ISP. You can go with CenturyLink, the ISP that slow as hell at under 20 Mb download speed at all times that is reasonably stable but when it's out it's really out or you can go with charter which has their standard package at 100 Mb area but goes down nearly every other night and manages to somehow take my entire network with it causing me to need to restart my modem and both of my routers constantly which is a real pain in the ass when I'm trying to run media servers and large downloads to archive websites potentially in the scale of terabytes. whenever my internet service goes down my downloader keeps trying to download pages but gets errors and assumes the pages are dead. Is there anything at all I can do other than call up charter and tell him how fucking garbage they are every time my internet goes down? Also when I call up charter they tell me that the service issues are because they are "upgrading their network to improve it to something bigger and better", how much of that is true and how much of that do you think is just bullshit they tell people to make them feel better? Also do you think that it's reasonable for a major ISP to cause down time over gear upgrades? Shouldn't they have redundancies built in so that even if some of their gear is pulled for replacement it doesn't take down entire multi-city areas?

sorry this is kind of more of a rant than a question/discussion but on behalf of everyone in the world can I go ahead and say fuck the ISPs



No comments:

Post a Comment