Saturday, April 27, 2019

How heavily are scripts utilized in your enviroment

What are the most complicated scripts that you had to write or modify at work? I work as a tier 1 network engineer at a power company. I proactively address network issues found in SolarWinds and Cisco BCI , and assist upper tier network engineers. I made some slight modification to one of David Bombal's scripts that configures multiple devices and runs the commands from a text file .

The modification I made to it, added the ability to save a list of devices that it couldn't connect and the reasons, e.g. timeouts, authentication failure, or SSH not being enabled. It saved me days of work when I ran one command on 1000+ devices. Only a handful of the networking a people at my employer use Python scripts, I'm surprised that only a few tier 3 engineers use scripts (they configure APICs only using the GUI). Does anyone here work for an employer where scripts are rarely used? If so, what industry is it? The company just hired someone that has an extensive background in scripting that will teach other engineers scripting (they'll start next week). Is there a high is the possibility of down sizing? Lastly, is being able to create scripts only slightly more complicated to those in David Bombal's course sufficient for most network jobs that require scripting?



No comments:

Post a Comment