Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Existing fiber between server room and IDF's - cannot get link established with new switches. How do I troubleshoot this?

I have 6 strand fiber from server room to each IDF with only 2 strands already in use. I have installed a new core switch and new access switches in the IDF's, however I cannot get the switches to show an active link over the other fiber strands. We have done the exact same switch refresh at multiple locations so I truly believe that this isn't a configuration issue. I am using vendor approved optics, and if I take my access switch back to the server room and use an OM3 fiber patch cable directly to the core I get link no problem. As soon as I take it back to the IDF and connect I get nothing. These are 10Gbe switches so I have tried both 10Gbe and 1Gbe optics with no difference. If I connect the fiber to the core switch and go to the IDF and look at the cable I see red light, it's a bit dimmer than I would expect, but it is there. The odd thing is that our 8 year old HP and Force10 switches don't have an issue using the same exact fiber strands. Our Extreme Networks gear just doesn't like it.

What do I do next? Should I have the fiber tested for continuity? Is there another factor that I am not considering?



No comments:

Post a Comment