Friday, April 12, 2019

Does your company buy based off fear? EVPN VxLan vs ACI or NSX, Containers vs. VM’s, Vendor run Open Stack vs. in house built self service and automation.

I’m started to realize a lot of companies make purchasing decisions purely out of fear and politics.

Curious how many feel large organization buy based off a perceived insurance policy thought to come from the big vendors.

After spending 3+ yrs working with many companies who choose more of a roll your own model, I’m now working with a lot of companies who are following what the big vendors tell them, and it’s perplexing for me. We’re talking some of the largest companies in the world still trying to roll out ACI, NSX, using VM’s to host containers, and paying vendors to build and run their Open Stack.

As I talk to executives about their purchasing decisions, I’m finding more and more it all comes down to fear and politics.

How prevalent is this really? Have you tried to help your organization modernize and got pushed down by management? Does your company consider using open source products, or innovative products from less well known startups even when they have a proven track record?

I know there is another breed out there, most of that breed is probably the ones here on Reddit. I can spot your slack sticker a mile away, but I think that only makes up a small percent of the population.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks.



No comments:

Post a Comment