Thursday, April 11, 2019

Cisco's new licensing model

We have a couple of 5508 WLCs with a 100 or so APs. Got a quote for an additional AP from our Cisco reseller and Cisco added a little tidbit to the price. AIR-DNA-A-5Y. I think it's a mistake since we're still using legacy equipment so I'm going to have him remove it since it adds $400+ to the quote for one AP.

But I've been doing some cursory reading and I guess it's their new licensing platform? for the controllers like the 9800 series. Seems a little expensive to add an extra $400 per AP for licensing that's only good for 5 years. Went back through an old quote to add 50 licenses to our current controller and it was $192 per license that never expired. Maybe I'm cynical but seems this is a bit of a money grab. I wonder if the license expires and it bricks your APs like Meraki?

I'm curious if anyone has been using the new Cisco DNA licensing platform and what would the benefits be exactly?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/software/nb-06-dna-acces-wl-sw-faq-ctp-en.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment