Friday, April 12, 2019

Actual advantages or disadvantages of enabling EEE / 802.3az?

Hi

I've been reading up a bit on the advantages and disadvantages of Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE) / 802.3az. Most switches that support it, so far seem not to enable it by default. I've enabled it for testing on one switch that mostly feeds Ubiquiti access points to see what happens during idle times. From that small sample it looks like during night and school holidays a some reduction in total power usage so I wouldn't be opposed if it doesn't come with issues like affecting stability.

I've tried to find the disadvantages and / or issues enabling EEE might give us. So far the added latency is something that is definitely not wanted in low-latency networks such as audio (DANTE) or high-frequency trading. But that's not my use case. Other than that, I haven't found many disadvantages or reports where it would affect stability or even when the connected device wouldn't support 802.3az but the switch does.

I've found a paper published through IEEE in 2013 that show that the process of switching from LPI mode to operational mode on a port some spikes that might "eat up" the power saving of LPI mode to a certain degree. (Bolla, Bruschi, Lago: The Hidden Cost of Network Low Power Idle)

Are there any other source or experience that you could share or point me at?



No comments:

Post a Comment