Thursday, March 28, 2019

Transferring hundreds of kilobyte files from computer to storage server

Hi There,

I'm having an issue with slow transfer speeds when writing files from user computers to our storage server. I am the IT Administrator for our company and a goal of mine is to improve the transfer speed by 5-10x within a few weeks. Basically our setup is a high performance Dell workstation with 3.6ghz xeon processors, 32GB of ram, dedicated graphics cards, and gig/full duplex network adapters. They all use an application called Tekla Structures which is a modeling application. The issue is this application creates a folder for the model with thousands of files ranging from 2KB to 5MB, with 90% being in the KB range. If I transfer files over 1MB to our storage server as a test I get speeds of 500Mbps, which is expected. When I transfer files 500KB and under I get around 20-40Mbps up and 150 down, which is about 12x slower. How can I increase these speeds? Since this is a 3rd party program I cannot compress the information in some way to increase file size and lower the IOPS, so I am limited to thinking a NIC on the users Desktop might be the best bet.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide!

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment