Thursday, March 7, 2019

Switchport dark, cabling is good... what is going on?

So we are trying to connect a dumb/unmanaged switch (TrendNet) to our 2960x (for reasons), and the port flashes green briefly then goes dark, and stays dark. The interface says down/down (notconnect).

No indication in the logs that the interface is even coming up at all. If we take the Trendnet switch out of the equation the network device comes up right away.

The only configuration is 'switchport mode access' and a description. I've tried trunking, I've tried turning off mdix auto, I've tried turning off PoE, all sorts of stuff.

I've checked port security, spanning tree, using a crossover cable, not using a crossover cable... no blocked or err-disabled ports, just nothing.

Tested the run end to end, no cabling errors. You can plug a laptop in and get local connectivity. I think the port lights up on a spare Cisco 3750 that we tested that's out of production so we can't just throw it online.

Do you have any idea what is going on? It's frustrating and I feel like I'm missing something really stupid. Is there something with the 2960x's that does not want an unmanaged switch attached?



No comments:

Post a Comment