Thursday, March 21, 2019

Sophos XG Firewall and Ubiquiti Switches / AP’s

Does anyone have experience deploying the sophos XG UTM firewall as a layer three switch to manage ubiquiti unifi switches? I know unifi switches only offer layer two but from the reading i’ve done I can use the firewall as a layer three switch. We’re a small business with ~15 on site users, a few printers and a POE powered surveillance system.

My setup would be WAN -> Firewall -> Core Layer 2 10GB/s Ubiquiti US-16-XG Switch -> 2x US-48-500W access switches.

My connection between the access switches and core switch would be SFP+ 10GB/s using multi-mode LC fibre cable. I would have a LAG connection using two SFP 1GB/s over multi-mode LC fibre cable going from my core switch into the Sophos firewall. We have 1GB copper coated coax coming into our building currently supplier internet from our ISP, this would link to the Sophos firewall through a single 1GB CAT6a connection.

I realize that my switches having a 10GB/s link and my core to firewall having a 2GB/s LAG link will cause a bottleneck but my boss is putting restraints on costs for this project so we will be purchasing an SFP+ snap-in module for the Sophos firewall in the future which should clear up that bottleneck.

I guess my main question is if Sophos plays well with Ubiquiti and how much of a headache will setting all this up be? Would I be better going with different switches or a different setup all together? Trying to cut costs without impacting performance too much.

Thanks for any input.



No comments:

Post a Comment