Saturday, March 23, 2019

Sending commands to device through Ethernet port

Hey all

So, at work we have recieved a carousel which responds to input consoles via an Ethernet cable. I am trying to emulate the output of the console on my PC so that I can control the carousel with a python based selection program I've written.

I have an instruction manual on the input consoles which has provided me with a wealth of information, everything from encoding type (RS-485) baud rate, how to format the STX/ETX, I feel really good about being able to start playing around with automating carousel movement. The one thing that this manual doesn't help me with is how in the hell I am supposed to actually send these commands through the Ethernet cable.

The console has settings to echo or transmit data for testing purposes. Using these settings, I have been looking for any way my computer will recognize the output from the console. I have tried finding the device through netstat, python socket listening, Wireshark, but I am completely stumped.

How can I listen to and communicate with these consoles over Ethernet cables?



No comments:

Post a Comment