Friday, March 22, 2019

[Question] Failover internet setup, share connect with neighboring business.

I had this thought last week while our ISP was having trouble with a fiber line.

We have a different ISP than the business next to us. We use a local ISP while the neighboring business uses the cable company.

I had the thought of connecting our internet connection so we both have a back up. Setup a failover device that would only use the others Internet if the primary connection went down.

Giving there is pavement between the two of us I was thinking of something wireless. Both buildings are metal so I would need something that can be mounted on the outside of the building and POE would be nice.

But I'm not sure how to go about this. My knowledge of networking is ok, but not great. No formal training just tinkering in my own.

I tried to do some searching for a setup like this but just keep finding articles on why you shouldn't share you wifi with the neighbors.

Any suggestions from more knowledgeable folks?



No comments:

Post a Comment