Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Non Profit ISP and Backhauls

Hello! I work at a rural non profit camp and retreat center in Nebraska that sits right along I-80. We have an ever growing guest count and our DSL line just cant handle the bandwidth, and our staff average age is getting younger so connected device count is going up. Currently there is only one hardline ISP in our area with a cap at 20/10 for our needs. In the next largest town (about 15mi away), they have an ISP that runs fiber with good speeds and all that, however they basically blow off our calls.

So I'm looking at some new options. The first I came up with was make an 'ISP' that would basically only service the camp and its onsite staff housing. I've done some research and given our size, fundraising for equipment is not entirely out of the question depending on how far the fiber needs to be ran. However I am worried about the potential legal issues and such as a nonprofit.
Note: oddly enough we already have fiber running on the camp. I dont know exactly were, how, or who owns it, but its there. We are not using it at all though.

So my questions are
1. Is this idea even a good one?
2. What are some issues I should be aware of?
3. Are there other options that I'm not thinking of that would work better?
4. What are some good backbone providers to look at? I've been looking at Hurricane Electric



No comments:

Post a Comment