Wednesday, March 20, 2019

NMS/PRTG to Trigger Switchport Actions

Hi All,

We use PRTG heavily to monitor our network switches and have traffic thresholds set where needed to notify us when things aren't in a good state.

I have a use case where I need to disable one port and enable another if bandwidth on one of my devices dips below a certain threshold.

Have any of you setup a system similar to this? Where an alarm trigger in PRTG or your NMS will take action to either enable or disable another port? Basically having the alarm take corrective action for an issue.

What's the best way to approach this? Should I be using SNMP to trigger these corrective actions (enable/disable ports) on the Cisco switch? Can powershell or .bat scripts send SNMP triggers to a Cisco switch? I don't see much online about this at all.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment