Thursday, March 7, 2019

Network setup / router problems

Alright so I pay for a gigabit download speed with comcast over copper.

Directly connected through my Arris docsis 3.0 surfboard modem, I get about that speed, minus usual overhead. However when I add in my tp-link c1200 wifi router (just because I want wifi), I end up getting only about 500mbps down. I've spoken to tplink support and they swear that this router's gigabit ethernet ports should be able to handle the speed without issue, but that's looking like not the case.

What I want to do is this; put a managed switch on my modem, then have my desktop connected to that switch. Also have the c1200 connected to the switch as an ap.

My question; which type of managed switch would work for this? Obviously an unmanaged switch wouldn't work, but there are multiple types of "managed" switches so I'm not really sure which one is necessary. Do I just need one that can tag vlans? Does it need to be able to handle dhcp leasing?

Someone help me please.



No comments:

Post a Comment