Friday, March 1, 2019

Looking recommended (free) in depth wifi monitoring tools?

Edit: yes, I noticed I butchered the title. What I get for typing late on mobile.

Hey guys, so our base networking shop just got tasked with testing the dorm commerical WiFi for official reasons why the internet is so horrible (It has gotten better after a upgrade, but still not on par with any college or apartment wifi that can be compared to their setup). I am one of the only two dorm residents left in our shop ATM so it's my problem to help get solved (finally after complaining all the way up the chain). People have been complaining for months, maybe years. If we can have enough data collected across the multiple dorm buildings of any and every legitimate issue we have a chance to force a contract renogotiation with either our current ISP or get a new one (subsidized is being mentioned).

The dorms currently have ISP owned routers spread out every couple of rooms to cover the entire buildings. Each resident has to pay for access to the wifi. I want to not only take speed tests from a large number of residents in a way where the data can't be prioritized, along with sticking a old computer or two (which I can install any needed OS) in each building for a few days or a week at a time.

I am perfectly fine paying for a cheap Vps to run speed tests to, to avoid prioritization.

Some of the things I'm hoping I can set the computers to monitor and log for:

Any time the pc temporarily disconnects for the wifi Any time the pc is connected to the wifi, but loses internet access Any time the network has high latency Constant speed tests, with highlights of the lowest speed results.

I have done some research, but haven't found a free/affordable program that does what I'm looking for. Brownie points if anyone knows of a user-friendly program on windows that we can have our more technically inclined residents install and run. It would be easier than scrounging through my hoarded collection of spare parts to put a few rigs together.



No comments:

Post a Comment