Thursday, March 14, 2019

Limiting Load on Servers

Hi All!

I recently started a job where an engineer who has been responsible for the network in our 300 strong office for the past number of years told me the following, I'm pretty sure it's not correct but just wanted to run it past you ladies and gents for clarity.

He has explained to me that a Network Design Engineer from HPE advised him a number of years ago that the best design for our office was to limit all desktop ports to 100Mbps even though the desktops and switch ports are capable of 1000Mbps.

Apparently the reason for this was to "Limit" the load on any in-house servers we have. We are only using the switches for Layer 2 with the firewalls providing Layer 3 (Router on a stick). To me this sounds bogus but I find I'm slightly doubting myself on this one.

Can you guys shed any light on this? I'd be happy to answer any questions about the rest of the network within reason.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment