Thursday, March 7, 2019

Is UTM really needed for a small (ecommerce) business?

We're have an office with ~17 employees. We all use pc's (mainly web browsing to our CMS, ticket system and some personal stuff) and VOiP-telephones. The telephones are key because sales/support is our main business (at any given moment at least 5 people are in a call). There are also some other devices plugged into the network, such as printers, a camera system, a pin for visiting customers and a Wi-Fi access point so people can connect their smartphones.

Right now we use a Sonicwall TZ 215, but it's dying and we need to replace it. I'm not an IT guy, but I do am the most technical person in the company (I'm a web developer) so it is my task to find a replacement. Since we've had many trouble with VOiP call quality in the past, I'm looking for a router that handles VOiP well. Our VOiP-provider swears by MikroTik (and can give me some tips to optimally configure it for their service), so I'm looking at something among the lines of https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1016-12G. As I'd rather have an over-powered router than deal with network dificulties when we grow, my budget is around 1500 EUR.

Now somebody mentioned me to ditch the MikroTik idea and that I should stick to Sonicwall or Fortinet because it's much more secure because of UTM. I've looked into this UTM and it doesn't sound like this will improve our VOiP call quality. Is UTM really needed for our business? Isn't the normal firewall in the MikroTik + virus scans on our computers enough? What real risk do we face when we go with the MikroTik?



No comments:

Post a Comment