Saturday, March 23, 2019

Is it time to consider enterprise-grade core switches?

One of the network I manage is based on Cisco SG200/500 switches. The two 500s are used as core (they are also stacked), the other 8 200s are access floor/room switches. We started some month ago a complete recabling of the switches interconnection with SM fiber because cables are aging and I got some suspicious error rate on some of them.

Putting it short, the core part is running out of SFP ports, and I don’t want to deal with fiber media converter… I also have the possibility to repurpose the SG500 in other environments and the server will be upgraded next year with 10Gbit connectivity (maybe, even more). I’m starting to look towards a full-sfp core switch, and evalutating if its time to go with truly enterprise switch like a Dell S4128F-ON for the core part. It would be nice to move most of the routing features from firewalls (ubiquiti er8) to the switch layer… what do you think about it? I know the S4000 series may sound overkill, but I haven’t found a cheaper alternative (with as many SFP+ ports) that makes me happy. I don’t have stringent requirements on routing features, but I really like the future-proofness of the ON series.



No comments:

Post a Comment