Thursday, March 28, 2019

Intermittent inter-vlan issue

I'm having an intermittent issue with some inter-vlan traffic and I'm not sure what could be causing this. I'm a 1.25-man IT shop for a small school district and not an expert by any means with networking.

I have a wired vlan, and 3 wifi VLANs for staff, students, and guest. The staff and student VLANs are setup in the exact same way. Both /22 networks. No firewall rules between vlans. Students are on locked down Chromebooks and guest network has rules through unifi wifi controller that limit internal access.

I have some internal web servers on the wired vlan that have just started recently becoming inaccessible to the student wifi network. It'll work for a bit and then stop working. I'm not sure where to look at this point. One odd thing is that if I set a laptop to a static IP on the wifi (same that it had with DHCP), I will sometimes lose the ability to ping the wired vlan. When I switch back to DHCP, it gets a new IP rather than the one it was just using. I don't know if that's related in any way but I've never seen it act like that before. DHCP server is a Win2008 server on the wired network vlan.

When this issue is occurring, trace route to the servers fail after the subnet's gateway.

Not sure what other details would be relevant. I haven't made any changes that I can think would cause this. It seemed to start happening after a power outage we had on Tuesday but all my equipment stayed up via UPS and generator power. I just had one switch that doesn't do any routing restart because UPS failed.



No comments:

Post a Comment