Friday, March 15, 2019

I need a recommendation on a high port count networking switch.

Hey guys,

So long story short, I have two computer labs at one of the schools I manage. One has 35 pc's and a teacher pc, and the neighboring lab has 20 pc's... for a grand totale of 56 PC's.

Right now, they are all Dell Optiplex 7000 series computers, connected via cat 6 to a 1gigabit switch. I want to put a 10Gbe NIC into the teacher PC.

So I'm looking for a port that will allow me to connect one computer via 10Gbe, and still be able to connect all of the other pc's via their 1 Gigabit nic's.

Any recommendations?

Reason: The teacher pc runs a monitoring/control software that can be quite bandwidth intensive. So my train of though is, if I give her 10gigabits of networking throughput, she will be able to handle the multiple simultaneous connections to all of the pc's (bare in mind, the lab pc's aren't experiencing any networking/bandwidth bottlenecking, it's only the teacher pc when she tries to connect to 30+ pc's at one time.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment