Friday, March 15, 2019

[Humor] Me explaining to my wife what I do for a living...

So watching YouTube this morning in bed with my wife when a Linus Tech Tips video came on (the video in question) and she starts asking what I do for a living (I'm a senior network engineer).

Wife: "So you like move cables around for a living?"

Me: "No, generally there are cable techs who work all that out before I show up on site and leave the cable either dangling in front of the gear, or plug it in for me"

Wife: "So what do you do?"

Me: "I configure the networking equipment to do what the customer needs it to do"

Wife: "So you do a whole bunch of complicated stuff that a Best Buy switch can do out of the box?"

Me: "Uhh, well it's not usually that simple"

Wife: "How so?"

Me: "Well I might have to configure a VLAN"

Wife: "Is that hard?"

Me: "Uh, well no"

Wife: "So what's difficult about it?"

Me: "Doing it at scale"

Wife: "So you configure a thousand VLANs?"

Me: "Well uh, very rarely that many"

Wife: "So what's at scale?"

Me: "The VLANs can be, sometimes the firewall rules, and sometimes I need to reboot things"

Wife: "Right...So what is it you really do again?"

Me: "ugh I mostly do what Linus does between 8:20 and 8:35 in that video"

Thanks hun, way to take the wind out of my sails regarding my 10+ year long career.

(Joke post btw, my wife is actually really understanding but this was a funny convo).



No comments:

Post a Comment