Saturday, March 16, 2019

For those of you who have worked in pre-sales at one of the big telecoms...

... what was your experience there, and would you recommend it to to a fellow engineer? I'm expecting an offer from one of the big guys and I'm trying to decide whether or not I will accept it (assuming that the salary or benefits are right... I haven't gotten an offer letter yet but I've been told by the hiring manager that the job is mine).

I've wanted to get into pre-sales for a long time, and I think that getting an architect title on my resume would be very valuable for my long term career prospects, but, I want to do legitimate solution design and I'm just not sure how much of my job would be that vs parroting marketing material.

I'm also anticipating CCIE R&S certification by the end of the year, and I'm not sure if by accepting an offer now, I'll be selling myself short. I'm pretty light on years of experience, you see, and it isn't clear whether I'd actually be able to get your average "CCIE-level" position.

Note: When I say "big telecoms", I'm referring to companies like AT&T, Verizon, Centurylink/L3, BT - not a local or regional carrier.



No comments:

Post a Comment