Friday, March 29, 2019

Fluke Toner: Question from a sysadmin

Hi all. I have minimal network experience however I was recently hired to a new medium sized business and the first order of business is to re document the network. I understand the basics behind doing it, however I've never actually used a toner before.

The main question I have is, using a Fluke Toner, if a cable is terminated, will the line still tone at the other end? So like if I stick the probe in a users jack, will I be able to tone the line out WITHOUT unplugging it from the patch panel? Or will I need to go behind the panel to the punch down block with my wand, and try to get tone off of that? There is 0 documentation of this network and it's a straight up mess so I'm trying to avoid unplugging anything at all costs, until I have it re documented. (after that, I'll be redoing the majority of it.)

Any advice is much appreciated. This is my first week as a sysadmin after 5 years in IT, and while I acknowledge making mistakes is the best way to learn.... I'm not trying to drop the ball on simple documentation one week into the position lol



No comments:

Post a Comment