Thursday, March 7, 2019

Corporate Network Speeds Slow

Hey guys,

I am looking for some direction on nailing down a slow network connection for users. We have 150Mbps incoming line and Gig switches throughout. Occasionally I'll get asked why the network is so slow which I know is always something users complain about. I don't have too much networking experience and have been overseeing our outsourced MSP. They claim they need more information which would obviously be helpful but all I can provide is that a speed test showed 60Mbps, connection to external sites was slow to load, and the exact time. The network is all new hardware (all good stuff) and the building is new so its only about 20% occupied. In a few months we will be going live and be adding more cloud apps.

I need to know how I can put a stress test/load on the network and pinpoint the issue once and for all. I have been back and forth with our MSP and they suggested putting in wireless policies that prevent streaming which I know needs done but without identifying the real problem now, its like shooting in the dark. They have only told me that the connection has been steady at 80-100Mbps all afternoon and Microsoft had a very high download size over a few hours.

That is great but without knowing what machine is doing the downloads, it doesn't help. What are some ways to put a load on the network and perform other tests to get this resolved before we go live. Any suggestions on where to start or what I can tell them they need to do to get more details?



No comments:

Post a Comment