Thursday, March 14, 2019

Connecting a SAN using MPO breakout cables

I did plenty of research about MPO breakout cables, but I never found anything that suggested this as a possible use case. I am trying to connect a SAN that is on a different floor from my switches (Nexus 5672UP) using four 12 fiber, OM3, 5 meter MPO breakout cables with 6 LC connectors (that are labeled 1-12). The SAN has two shelves with six 10Gb SFP+ interfaces each, and the optics are the Cisco branded SFP-10G-SR. Breakout cable is similar to this, except type B (have four of them): https://www.fs.com/products/74323.html. We have an MPO panel with 72 strands of MM fiber ran between floors. There were 24 strands of unused, MPO terminated fiber, so I thought I would try and make this work. Has anyone else done this before? I'm not able to get a link up on any of the switch ports. Re-seated the cables, SFPs, reversed the connectors, still nothing. Is this even a possible use case? Everything I have seen with MPO cables is splitting a 40Gb QSFP into four 10Gb ports.



No comments:

Post a Comment