Thursday, March 28, 2019

Confused on career path : Network Consulting vs Engineering (Testing) role

Hi,

I am hoping this qualifies as a career growth question and is not removed.

I am currently a 4 year experienced guy in networking with the entirety of my career in Cisco as a System Integration tester. This role has made me learnt a lot about how we work on a product and engineering level and shape it to be ready for the robust production environments.I have had good exposure of L2/L3 and other SP protocols (TE, multicast etc). Though I see a shift towards cloud/SDN and want to be ready on that as well. I am working towards my CCIE RS Lab and am keen to try out AWS certifications as well.

Side by side i have always been involved in numerous customer escalations and that has been always of my interest - to design a network and work on various real-time challenges.

I have recently trying to get a new job and have been offered multiple roles in both engineering and consultant roles.

For the same i seek advice on what path to take now so that I can end up in a Network design/Architect/TME roles.

Seeking inputs of growth in terms of salary, learning and being future ready.

What will be the possible pros/cons of engineering vs consultant roles?

P.S : pardon my ignorance on the wide range of my question, quite frankly i am very confused in the vast networking domain and want to take a solid step towards a fixed goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment