Saturday, March 30, 2019

Best way to connect 1 Main Branch and 5 Auxiliaries.

Hello! I’m fairly fresh to the I.T. networking realm (senior in high school) and wanted to ask on my current idea of creating a secure and functional network that would be put into place for a bank (educational project). I appreciate any advice given and fully expect to be wrong in some areas! The main branch has 6 departments with a total of 203 IoT devices in 100 machines, 100 phones, and 3 printers and the auxiliaries have 4 with a total of 42 IoT devices in 20 machines, 20 phones, and 2 printers. In doing this I’m also trying to allocate space for expandability but not at the price of security.
My current plan is to have it sub-netted by department with the main branch being a class B and the Auxiliaries class C. The class B is more difficult for me to determine as of now but for the class C I have it set as

192.168.1.0/26 (0-63) = tellers 192.168.1.64/26 (64-127) = New Account Reps And etc on to the next branch which becomes 192.168.2.0/26 (0-63)

Would a class B of 172.16.1.0/18 be acceptable for the main branch? The main thing I’m trying to keep intact here as well is the expandability of the network with good security as well.

ACL’s are my main plan to segregate the network and obviously shut down unused ports where needed.

Lastly I can’t figure out what would be a solid switch and router to use. L3 Switches perplex me because some say that they can be used as a router as well removing the need for one completely? Is this a legitimate enterprise practice? Sorry if the questions are very newbish and this maybe being a longer post but I sincerely appreciate any advice!



No comments:

Post a Comment