Saturday, March 23, 2019

Aruba Wi-Fi Mobility Master license pooling and Virtual Controllers?

I’m trying to wrap my head around how Aruba Wi-Fi licensing works with Aruba's virtual Mobility Controllers. If I understand Aruba's documentation correctly, a site needs one LIC-AP license (JW472AAE) for every access point, plus a license for the virtual Mobility Controller itself. Virtual controller licenses are priced by max APs supported with 10, 50, 250, 1000 options. For example, a MC-VA-250 (JY903AAE) is a license for a single virtual controller that supports up to 250 APs.

Now where I’m confused is Aruba also offers Mobility Master software for managing multiple sites. MM costs extra and doesn't replace the AP and MC licenses, but it does add license pooling between sites. According to the Aruba licensing guide this includes the ability to pool MC-VA licenses. But I don't know if pooling in this context includes splitting a larger MC license into more than one site.

Say I have 10 sites with 90 APs each. I could buy (900) LIC-AP licenses plus (10) MC-VA-250 licenses and be covered. But if Mobility Master allows me to split up licenses from a central pool, I could save a ton of money by replacing the (10) MC-VA-250 licenses with a single 1000 AP controller license (MC-VA-1k) plus the 1000 AP Mobility Master license (MM-VA-1k). But I can’t tell from Aruba’s documentation if this is allowed.

Any insights are appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment