Thursday, March 7, 2019

21-year old Silicon Valley chapter of Cisco Users Group shuts down

I received the following email:

Hello SVCUG Members,

In case you haven't kept track of time, or are relatively new to the group, the SVCUG has been around for nearly 21 years.  Over these 21 years, it's been an honor watching and helping many of you achieve your learning and certification goals.  Beyond that, we've also had some amazing presentations by leaders in the networking industry, both inside and outside of Cisco.

That said, it's with great sorrow to tell you that we've decided that the time has come to shut down the SVCUG.  It has truly been one heck of a ride, and I thank you for being a part of the journey.  By no means have I done this alone, so I'd like to thank my co-founder David Powers, along with Dan Segovia, Lorin Thompson, Akil Taylor, Chris Donovan, Chris Verges, Gary Sanders, David Dai, Ray Brewer, and of course, Martin Winter, to name just a few.  It's been so rewarding seeing many of you grow in not only your knowledge, but also professional careers.

As for the www.svcug.net website, we have some great recorded TechTalks on the site, so I encourage you to watch them while they are still there.  The current plan is to keep the website operational into 2020, until the current hosting plan expires.  We are still looking at various options regarding the SVCUG List Server, and I will send out an e-mail update about that in the future.

As for the biweekly Saturday labs, they will also cease.  I'll be updating the SVCUG website Events Calendar in the near future to reflect that.

Finally, I just want to say thank you to all of you for being a part of this group for so many years.  I've made many friends through this group, and I look forward to crossing paths with many of you in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Luis Chanu

Co-Founder

Silicon Valley Cisco Users Group (SVCUG)

Like many of you I'm sure, some of my earliest and most developmental exposure to this industry was via a local Cisco users group. At that time, they seemed to receive a lot of support from Cisco but over time, it seems to have declined. I am very surprised to see the chapter local to Cisco's headquarters shutting down.

Is this because Cisco sees these groups as competition for its own paid educational products?

My old group, the Colorado Springs Cisco Users Group was absorbed into the RMCUG https://www.meetup.com/RockyMountainCiscoUsersGroup/events/ but it doesn't seem so active these days either.

Are conferences and online forums the only options nowadays?

I enjoyed some of the Palo Alto FUEL meetups in the Bay Area - They reminded me of the heyday of the Cisco groups.



No comments:

Post a Comment