Friday, March 8, 2019

100MBps Internet Over Cat-3 Cable, Can I Do It, What Are The Drawbacks.

Hello All,

Im not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, if not can you point me in the right direction.

Now i know Cat-5e is the current "standard" for high speed internet so the only reason i ask this is because.....

Im building a Office/Studio in one of my spare bed rooms on the 2nd floor, i would like to move my PC into this space, my current internet speed is around 150MBps. My home was built in 2004 and all the rooms are wired with a phone jack. I would like to keep the clean appearance of these wall jacks so I have 2 options i think, the wire within the wall is CAT-3 (4 twisted pairs) i have checked at the wall outlet and in the basement. Im have read that i can take the RJ11 and cut it off and install the RJ45 and use the wire Cat-3 for high speed internet.

Option 2 would be to try and pull CAT5e through the wall into the basement by attaching to the end of the cat-3 which may work but i only get one shot.

Option 1 is preferred however Im not a networking expert so can someone more knowledgeable let me know if this will or wont work and and any possible issues that may come up.



No comments:

Post a Comment