Friday, February 15, 2019

Would the sub find a demographics survey interesting or useful?

I'm not even sure if such a thing is allowed on this sub, though I saw a salary-based one a while ago that got cross-posted here from /r/sysadmin.

I'd be more interested not in a salary one, but a pure demographics one, and have it narrowed down to just the denizens of /r/networking.

I've never done a survey before, I'm just trying to gauge interest of the community at large. The main objective would be to see what demographic groups and areas of the industry are represented here.

Just some sample probes:

General demographics

What age are you?

18 - 21

22 - 25

25 - 30

30 - 35

35 - 40

40 - 45

45 - 50

50+

What is your gender and ethnicity?

Where are you?

U.S. ... Bay Area, U.S. West, U.S. upper midwest, U.S. lower midwest, U.S. Southwest, U.S. U.S. Northeast, U.S. East, etc.

Canada? Onatario, Quebec, B.C, etc?

UK/Europe, Asia, Africa, Pacific Island, etc. (I'd probably need to do some homework on the "where are you living" section to make sure to cast a wide net and not make certain parties feel excluded, as I'm aware that this sub has people from all over the world posting on it.)

And then the part which would be the main interest I feel

** Defining "Networking" as primary job duties revolving around designing, configuring, installing, operating, maintaining, or administrating routers, switches, firewalls, load-balancers, wan optimizers, bulk encryptors, MUX/DE-MUX, SDN components, or any other aspects of network transport infrastructure**

How long have you worked in Networking?

0 years - "Aspiring, in-training/education/prep, etc.)

0 - 5 years

5 - 10 years

10 - 15 years

15 - 20 years

20 - 25 years

25 - 30 years

30+ years

Would you think of also breaking that question down to even shorter time spans?

How long have you been employed at your CURRENT networking job

0 - 5 years

5 - 10 years

10 - 15 years

15 - 20 years

20 - 25 years

25 - 30 years

30+ years

How many PRIMARILY NETWORKING jobs have you held since your first one?

1

2-3

3-4

4-5

5-6

6-7

7-8

8-9

9-10

10+ networking jobs since my career began

What best describes your CURRENT NETWORKING JOB?

I work for a Vendor (Cisco, Juniper, Arista, etc.) in TAC

I work for a Vendor (Cisco, Juniper, Arista, etc.) in a sales role

I work for a Vendor (Cisco, Juniper, Arista, etc.) in some other role

I work for a VAR or Reseller as pre-sales engineer.

I work for a VAR or Reseller as post-sales engineer.

I work for a VAR or Reseller in some other role.

I work for a Managed Service Provider / Professional Services firm.

I work as a freelance Consultant.

I work for a hosting/cloud provider. (include content delivery networks)

I work for an Internet Service Provider in a NOC.

I work for an Internet Service Provider in a Tier 2 / 3 engineering position.

I work for an Internet Service Provider in a design/solutions/architecture role

I work for an Internet Service Provider in some other role.

I work in an enterprise environment in the Health Care industry.

I work in an enterprise environment in the Financial Services industry.

I work in an enterprise environment in the Consumer Products & Services industry.

I work in an enterprise environment in the Business Products & Services industry.

I work in an enterprise environment in the Transportation/Logistics industry

I work in an enterprise environment in the Construction industry.

I work in an enterprise environment in the Entertainment industry.

I work in an enterprise environment in some other industry not listed here.

I am a Fed-Gov government employee.

I am a Fed-Gov government contractor.

I am active duty military.

I am a State/Local government employee.

I am a State/Local government contractor.

There'd also be an education and certification section, trying to determine highest level of degree possessed, and the number of certifications lifetime (including expired) number currently held, etc.

Also something in there about this sub like

Do you primarily read the subreddit but not participate.

Do you participate and post content, or just reply to threads mostly, etc.

I won't type any more because this isn't the actual survey. I'm just interested to see if people would actually like this and would participate in such a survey. Or does this border in "probably not worth the effort" kinda thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment