Friday, February 22, 2019

Using existing 6 wires cable as Ethernet connection?

Hello. My house is connected to a telephone line using a 6 wires cable which gives me internet. Only two blue and white-blute cables are connected to a socket, a router from ISP is connected to that socket using some kind of flat-RJ11 (UK BT socket?), next thing in the network is my OpenWRT router which is the central point of my network. I would like to remove the router from ISP which would require me to rewire that socket.

Problem is that 6 wires cable. Is it possible to convert it from 6 wires to 8 wires ethernet cat5? I don't want to rewire everything in the house, just want to replace the custom router with my own, and configure OpenWRT to connect using ppoe.

Picture of the cable coming in to my house: https://i.imgur.com/zHhKHSk.jpg

do I just need to connect blue-blue, whiteblue with whiteblue etc, and ignore brown and white-brown? There are connectors like this on market[1], so it must be possible, but so far every my attempt failed.

[1] https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-Male-Cat5e-Cable/dp/B003534VGS



No comments:

Post a Comment